Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Kubelka shtuff

I think it's notable that this particular reading opened with a conversation regarding the relativity of reality. To each his or her own, essentially. Additionally, as Kubelka suggests, our descriptions of our reality perceived are as skewed and unique to ourselves as the perceptions themselves…. On that note, I was struck by Kubelka's claim that his own bit of film had "more energy in it than anything (he) had ever seen - and, comparing that same bit of film, "indivisibly'", to a greek temple…. I have yet to see this particular film, bit I suspect that his interpretation of it comes very much from within the walls of his own reality… Other odd moments, were when he receives the film back from the beer commercial…"…I saw this incredible mess. It was absolutely nothing. I said, I will make the greatest film ever made". …it's like his investigation into film began with the intention to make something groundbreaking, and in trying to figure out how to do that in a really aggressive and demanding way, he reduced the medium into numbers - casting aside the mystery and illusion that so many other makers base their practice on… But I've never seen the work so I don't know what I'm commenting on really. Regardless, I found many of his ideas really neat and insightful. In particular, I like the part about seeing a single element and multiplications of it…"Why this is so remains beyond us". Its kind of an interesting thought- why isn't every object, thing, and entity wholly different - that would be a trip. Also at some point in the midst of all the talk about speed and rhythm, I started wondering if the filmic rhythm itself is what makes it so attractive and if 24fps has an inherent aura that makes us feel a certain way. Maybe it's because it gives the synapses in our brain just a little more time to work out each image before it shifts as opposed the faster rate at which our own eyes interpret the world…it would seem that this could be soothing somehow. Still wondering how his film "Arnulf Rainer" will never decay - I understand that its because theres a script involved that can be replicated, but I think in any case we wouldn't assume that the idea is the film as opposed to the object itself - and it seems a little awkward for him to say this too after talking so much about the material and process….

No comments:

Post a Comment