Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dorsky thoughts

I was expecting the essay to be more concerned with the similarities between something like faith, or belief in the unseen, and the manner in which one experiences or creates cinema. It seemed to me that this was only briefly addressed in the beginning of the essay, and it kept me wondering how a very strong word like "devotion" was pertinent.
Within Dorsky's writing there is a lot of talk about the materiality of film; it's relationship with light, intermittence, space, and time. I noticed allusions to a lot of other literature on the subject - mainly while he was speaking about film-craft as "alchemy", and discussing "the act of seeing" in terms of it's presence in film- the former being a topic we've been given another specific reading on, and the latter, very brakhage-esque. I also enjoyed his uses of the term single-mindedness, though I can't say for certain to what degree Keirkegaard was an influence. I would like to know more about how he sees film as "the spirit or experience of religion". I often wonder about peoples devotion to cinema/art and the creative process, and where that comes from. There can be something fulfilling or rewarding about it that goes beyond almost any type of experience and that's what I imagine a close relationship with God is similar to. ….. In a way I suppose a lot of art is doing what something like religion does in the sense that its giving form to the unseen, in an attempt to understand it on a deeper level, or make a certain meaning more apparent. Why is that so important to us - to give face or explanation, or symbol to something ethereal and elusive? I'm not sure I have any sort of answer but I think Mr. Dorsky has probably spent quite a bit of time with that question, and I'd like to know his thoughts on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment