Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Glitch Studies Response

http://youtu.be/lbvwZ4LWeEc ........This is the closest example to the opening statement in the manifesto about our upgrade culture as it is today. We continually seek the update, the upgrade to fix the problem.

In the whole manifesto, I can't help but want to ask the question never asked, "How do we know it is a glitch?". Is it just our Western exposure to technology or is it obvious because the visual and acoustic mediums have been used as vehicles for perfect representations of what already exists?

I grew up with an old Samsung TV that had actual knobs on it, and its static noise became familiar to me. It had a positive purpose....with the noise I knew how loud the TV was and I could tell when the signal was clear by how much the static went away. So like the manifesto stated, noise while often negative by default...it can also be a positive way to redefine something else.

Music has had the best embrace with noise in my opinion. I can hear really nicely "played" noise thanks to inventions like the electric guitar and amp. That noise has become a sound we recognize. Think about that. Is that to say that in the future these glitches, the noise in our video transmissions will be recognized as a good bit of visual artistry on behalf of the video's creator?

No comments:

Post a Comment