Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I feel like a lot of art practices, when it appears that the practice itself is against the grain of what is considered traditional or appropriate, write a manifesto. It's like in a strange way, there is some need to validate or substantiate new undefined subversive art forms. I'm not saying I disagree but I think it's interesting how strange and new artforms generate new ways of thinking about art in general to the degree that poetry is written about the new movements nature... Also though, as a far as a lot of manifesto necessitating artforms go I'm taken by how much they stress the fact the medium or material is somehow not being used for what it was intended for. I think its worthwhile asking whether or not glitch is just an innate aspect of the medium that had largely been untapped until recently. It's new discovery makes it seem alien and out of sorts, but really, it's just what the medium does under certain conditions. surely theres a million different techniques and ways to work with paint that we wouldn't necessarily consider outside of paint's intended use, because they don't incorporate the use of a brush or turpentine.

but, I love this line "... to act against something does not mean to move away from it completely (p.8)" - and maybe this is making the connection that while glitch is separate it's still very much a part of the video whole. I also think this has really amazing ramifications outside of art. This could very well be discussed in context of all sorts of conflicts, and ideas of protest, or even non-violent resistance....yeah, I'm gonna remember this one.

http://beadcircle.com/a-beaders-manifesto/

No comments:

Post a Comment